Counterfeit AUTOCOM products
The allure of counterfeiting is obvious especially for products that are unique and popular. Counterfeiting is the ultimate technology for people who want to get something for nothing.
It was perhaps not news that there are copies of our products out in the markets. We know that we develop and sell products and services that truly function for our customers. Come to think of it, who wants to copy the things that do not work?
In a way, it's flattering and it is a confirmation of our hard work which makes our products well sought after. But unfortunately, it affects not just us. Those who buy these counterfeit products may not be having the same functionality or software that is updated. And above all, they do not have access to all our knowledge and experience we have accumulated over the years. Ultimately, this affects also the vehicle drivers who risk driving around in unsafe vehicles.
At first glance, these copies may look like original products, however, at a closer look; they differ considerably, which creates problems for those who buy them. Copies exist for both our software (AUTOCOM CARS and AUTOCOM TRUCKS) and our hardware/VCI (CDP).
In the beginning only a few copies were discovered in early 2011, but circulation has escalated over the year. As of today, copies are available on numerous websites, which creates problems for us, our distributors and, ultimately, our customers, who are at risk of buying faulty or illegal products.
SPOT THE DIFFERENCES
Pirated CDP+ Original CDP+
THERE ARE SEVERAL WAYS TO IDENTIFY A COPY.
The genuine CDP+ has a hologram sticker marked VCI with "Original" as hologram picture. Copies might have a printed CE sticker with mirror effect.
The LED frame on the genuine CDP+ is only visible when lit. When the CDP+ is not connected the frame is not detectable.
The cable attachment to the VCI body is in line on the genuine CDP+. On copies it is most often an edge rise. Also the attachement is sometimes made with long d-sub screws on the copies.
All use of such counterfeit products constitutes a crime against copyright infringement laws and is punishable under Swedish and International laws.
Do you know someone who uses or sells illegal copies of Autocom products; we would love to hear from you. Send us as much information as possible to email@example.com If you have by accident, bought an AUTOCOM product that proved to be fake, you can contact AUTOCOM or any of our distributors for more information.
THERE ARE SEVERAL WAYS TO IDENTIFY A COPY.
The overlay (CDP adhesive sticker) may be different. Originals have a raised sticker marked Original Data, while copies have a printed sticker.
On copies there may also be a profile of a car and also ISS and ISI logos are present, which are not on the originals.
The originals have rubber ends, which are not on the copies. If you have access to both an original and a copy, you can also see that the connection for the 16-pin plug and the Bluetooth antenna is different.
ORIGINAL IS ALWAYS THE BEST
As explained above, it can be difficult to distinguish between originals and copies. If you are uncertain whether a product you are buying is an AUTOCOM original or a copy, do not hesitate to contact one of our distributors, who will confirm easily whether it is an original, high quality product.
Remember that buying AUTOCOM original products gives you a lifetime guarantee, provided you have a valid license, as well as access to all of AUTOCOM's collective expertise and spare parts.
In other words, it pays to buy an original.
WHY TAKE THE RISK?
You are risking the lives of many motorists by using a tool that provides inaccurate and counterfeit information; information that neither have been tested nor verified by qualified personnel, which in turn causes malfunction of systems in a vehicle. We have confirmed cases where counterfeit products have caused ECUs to be completely damaged thus putting the safety of many road users at risk.
- The financial implications and bad media reports of your workshop will be costly.
- You are jeopardizing the safety of yourself and your co-workers when using a counterfeit tool. The counterfeit units are not tested nor evaluated for personal safety.
- Illegal software, key generators and patches offered on various marketplaces are known to contain malicious hidden viruses and trojans.
- You will certainly have trouble updating the counterfeit tool. Even if you believe you have updated your units, you are exposing yourselves to safety, legal and financial implications in due course.
- No warranty provided when purchasing counterfeit products as it usually of inferior quality. Buying an original Autocom guarantees you a life time warranty together with a valid license.
- No support or training is available. Who do you call for assistance? In most cases, the sites or sales persons cease to function within a short time.
- It is illegal and a crime to buy, sell, possess and even to use counterfeit products. You risk potential prosecution or large fines brought against you in the court of law.
- You are funding organized crime and ultimatly even terrorism by buying counterfeit products.
- You are undermining the credibility of your workshop and the entire vehicle repair sector.
EXAMPLES OF PIRATED UNITS